Stamford, Conn. - May 5, 2022
Eagle Bulk Shipping Inc. (NASDAQ: EGLE) ("Eagle Bulk," "Eagle" or the "Company"), one of the world’s largest owner-operators within the midsize drybulk vessel segment, today reported financial results for the quarter ended March 31, 2022.
• Generated Revenues, net of $184.4 million
- Achieved TCE(1) of $27,407/day basis TCE Revenue(1) of $121.6 million
• Realized net income of $53.1 million, or $4.09 per basic share
- Adjusted net income(1) of $64.5 million, or $4.97 per adjusted basic share (1)
• Generated EBITDA(1) of $72.1 million
- Adjusted EBITDA(1) of $85.0 million
• Declared a quarterly dividend of $2.00 per share for the first quarter of 2022. Payable on May 25, 2022 to shareholders of record at the close of business on May 16, 2022
• Looking ahead, as of May 3, 2022, our coverage position is as follows:
- Q2 2022 - 83% of available days fixed at an average TCE of $29,300
Notwithstanding a volatile rate environment, Eagle posted strong results in the first quarter, in what is typically the weakest period of the year. We achieved a TCE of $27,407 per day, generating an adjusted net income of $65 million for the quarter. Based on this result and our expectations for continued strong performance, Eagle’s Board declared a first quarter dividend of $2.00 per share, bringing total distributions to over $6 per share since we initiated our dividend program just seven months ago.
Demand growth for minor bulks remains healthy and continues to outpace demand for the broader drybulk market, resulting in Supramax/Ultramax vessels outperforming the larger dry bulk segments. Voyage distances have also increased, driven primarily by dislocations caused by the war in Ukraine, which has in turn helped to strengthen spot rates. On the back of this and our active management approach to trading, Eagle has thus far procured approximately 83% of its available days for the second quarter at a net TCE of $29,300 per day."
(1) These are non-GAAP financial measures. A reconciliation of GAAP to non-GAAP financial measures has been provided in the financial tables included in this press release. An explanation of these measures and how they are calculated are also included below under the heading "Supplemental Information - Non-GAAP Financial Measures."
About Eagle Bulk Shipping Inc.
Eagle Bulk Shipping Inc. ("Eagle" or the "Company") is a U.S.-based, fully integrated, shipowner-operator providing global transportation solutions to a diverse group of customers including miners, producers, traders, and end users. Headquartered in Stamford, Connecticut, with offices in Singapore and Copenhagen, Eagle focuses exclusively on the versatile mid-size drybulk vessel segment and owns one of the largest fleets of Supramax/Ultramax vessels in the world. The Company performs all management services in-house (including: strategic, commercial, operational, technical, and administrative) and employs an active management approach to fleet trading with the objective of optimizing revenue performance and maximizing earnings on a risk-managed basis. For further information, please visit our website: www.eagleships.com.
Eagle Bulk Shipping Inc. press release