9 May 2022
Thun Tankers have placed an order for two 7999 mts dwt tankers. The ordered "R-Class" vessels are a further development of Thuns' existing vessels. Focus on resource efficiency, environmental responsibility and logistical reliability has been key in the design process.
Thun Tankers is part of the Erik Thun Group, a company owned by the Kallsson family since 1938. The ships, that will be built by Scheepswerf Ferus Smit BV in the Netherlands, will be delivered during first half 2024. Ferus Smit BV has previously built forty ships for Erik Thun. Upon delivery they will enter into the Gothia Tanker Alliance network and be technically managed by MF Shipping Group. Adaptive propulsion to minimize energy usage, UPS battery pack, the latest hull design and the newest and most resource efficient machinery are some examples of the vessels new features.
- The scope for the "R-Class" series have been to build the most resource efficient vessels available for the trade, with minimal environmental impact. Thun's long experience of building high performing quality vessels has been used in the design process. We have been combining this with a number of new features to further improve performance while reducing our climate footprint.
- Joakim Lund, CCO at Thun Tankers BV.
- Our concept has always been to build and operate ships with focus on environment, sustainability and energy efficiency. We did this long before these matters made it to the global agenda. Continual improvement is our objective and these ordered vessels are good examples of that. Being in the shipping industry, we believe we can actually make a difference in the global perspective by being responsible and do our part.
- Johan Kallsson, Managing Director at Erik Thun AB.
- The new vessels have been designed with safety and reliability in mind. The ships will be reliable and easy to operate. In the intense coastal trade that these vessels will operate, it is important to build a quality ship that functions well over its entire lifespan.
- Henrik Kallsson, Deputy Managing Director at Erik Thun AB.
The main characteristics for the vessels are:
• Length overall about 114.95 m
• Breath moulded about 15.87 m
• Max dwt draft 6.9 m
• Deadweight about 7999 ton
• Cargo tank capacity about 9540 m3
• Ice Class 1A (Finnish Swedish)
Image by Thun Tankers.
Thun Tankers press release